Sunday 10 June 2012

Its Been Awhile

Its been awhile since I've been active on my blog, but as I prepare to return once more to the Emerald Isle, I have decided to catch my internet followers up to speed. I returned from Ireland and my study abroad in early December of last year. Since that time, I have spent a good bit of time at home in Ohio, with my family, as well as a semester back at Gettysburg College where I have continued my studies in International Affairs and History.

Back at Gettysburg

Since my adventures in Ireland, and since school has let out, I have been able to pursue a couple different expeditions, in both Canada and the States. In May, I went north, with my Uncles John and Rick, and Aunt Carol, for our annual work week at the cabin. While I was there, we found time to get a lot of needed maintenance done around the cabin, as well as get some good pike fishing in.

 
My uncles, aunt and I worked hard to put up a new ceiling in the cabin, but we also found time to do some pike fishing off the dock- To the left is a picture of me with a nice 28" Northern



I also was able to take a long weekend and do some backpacking along the Appalachian Trail, in the Pennsylvania section, where my two college friends, Josh and Alex, and myself, hiked and camped out for three days in some beautiful country.

My compatriots and I on our Appalachian Trail hike



Buzzard's Peak- Southern Pennsylvania




Now back to the main-- Irish-- focus of this blog. In the past semester, I have been lucky enough to apply for and receive a Mellon Fund Scholarship for Summer Research, to continue my studies abroad in Ireland, focusing on the legacy that history has on the modern day situation in Northern Ireland. I will be building on the thesis project I worked on while abroad, examining the Williamite Wars of Ireland and their continuing legacy on the conflict between the Ulster Protestants and the Irish Catholics.

During this research I will be in staying in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland through early July, researching in the archives of Belfast and Dublin as well as hopefully interviewing individuals for my work. Don't think that this trip will be all work and no fun, however, as I have allotted plenty of time to continue my explorations of the Island of Eire.

I will once again be staying with the O'Dea family for much of the time, they were gracious enough to invite me back into their home for another bout.

The O'Deas and I at our farewell dinner together last December


I look forward to returning to the island of rainy weather, green fields, sheep, tea, Guinness, rashers and Gaelic hospitality. I look forward to getting in some more exploration of Belfast, Dublin and Derry, as well as some more travelling to new places for me. I hope to get some more swimming in, as well as some summer pike fishing in the lake region.

Stay tuned for more updates, as I embark from the U.S. tomorrow evening and set out for another adventure in Ireland!



2 comments:

  1. Have a great time and enjoy your experiences. Slainte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick and Carol! I'll keep you posted. Enjoy the peace and quiet in Shreve now, haha. Slainte!

    ReplyDelete