Thursday 1 September 2011

My Day in Ireland:

So today, after class, it was a nice day with the sun shining. One of the other students, Sameen, and I walked down the river walk along the Liffy to the quays, where we saw the Famine Monument, and one of the restored "coffin ships" that took immigrants to America during the Great Hunger.


After a little sightseeing, we went back to our homestays to get our swimming gear and met down on Killiney Beach, outside of Don Laoghaire. I put on my swimming "togs" and in the 40 degree weather, dove into the Irish Sea. It was very invigorating; I have never swam in colder water on a colder day. We swam for twenty minutes along the rocky beach, where we saw dolphins out beyond the shore. It was very cold but very stimulating. I hope to do it again soon. After swimming, I went home to dinner, where Freda, my host-mom, made a traditional Irish Roast- Lamb, spuds, mushrooms, carrots, garlic and onions, with a side of Yorkshire Pudding and Gravy. It was a great day and so completely Irish!


1 comment:

  1. The famine statues are pretty amazing. I saw them in May and the really make an impression when you study them. 40 degrees, it was 95 here today.

    ReplyDelete